I thought marriage was a vow. A promise to love each other forever. Symbolized and laced with an unbreakable ring. Till the end of the time.
We're there already?
I thought that love is independent from time. But parents forget each other. They make the image of each other dissolve. Memories of each other turn irrelevant, put away and stored. They continue to be in the same family picture. It began with the love they felt for each other. It continues with the love for their children. Children become their chains. Their love aged with their bodies.
Why did they come together to begin with...
I would want to stick tight to the person I marry. My heart to his. If I had children, I would want them to live in a loving environment. I don't want them to feel like they are the only reason that I'm staying. I want the promises said aloud to tons of people I love and grew up with to be true. Just like how I will treasure my vows to him. Cradle them in my arms. Bundled with love blankets. Nurtured to live forever with me.
My parents put away their rings. I would wear mine even in the midst of death. Because love overcomes everything. In my imagination at least.
Marriage is supposed to seal love. But nowadays, it only slowly eats it away.
No comments:
Post a Comment