April 16th. .Sunny and Warm.
I thought I didn't have any specific talents. I thought that God forgot to give me a slip of his magic touch before I was given to my mother. Nothing I had a talent for was naturally there. Practice was done, time and money were spent. But finally, I've found what I'm naturally born with, something that was priceless and just came to me with no demand, no force. God actually didn't forget about me. He implanted my talents deep inside me already. And this year was the time I was supposed to find it.
Ms. DC was my supporter, my encourager, my believer. If she wasn't there, I would have no idea that God has given me this special talent. She sat there, and listened. Although it seems like the most simple thing anyone can do, I've never met a teacher that would do that for me. I can't believe that she actually understands me, how I think, and appreciate who I am as just a simple human being. Unlike many other teachers, that just sees a student as a student, it seems like she treats me like another fellow writer and friend. She always believed in me and lets me write what I wanted to, because she knows '[she]'ll love it'. Her suggestions brightened my writing skills and ideas. Her words made my mind tilt in a different angle. I've learned so much from her. She taught me about being an even better writer, and a better person in life. No adult figure spent time to listen to my thoughts and my creativity, so meeting her was my relief. It reminded me that my thoughts aren't like many other girls at my age and that was ok.
And when it's time to say goodbye in June, I don't think I would be able to bring myself to. I don't know if there are anyone else out there that will notice my special touch. Some may dislike it, some may not recognize it. I break traditional writing rules. It's who I am as a writer. I purposely write sentence fragments. I know that trees can't hold, and time can't run. But I write what I feel and what I see. And that's what I see. That's what I hear. That's what I smell. It's what I feel. I write as honest, as pure and simple as I can. Complicated words are not what I am aiming for. And to just know that even one professional recognizes it, makes my whole mind hesitate, and shake back and forth. Back and forth.
Thank you so much Ms. DC. Every compliment, every suggestion, every comment has helped shape and inspire me as a writer. You were the one that found my talent before I did. You were also one of the only adults that can sit, listen, and understand me. Thank you for being such a big supporter of my work. I really wish you can continue to guide me, and teach me all you know, because there is still so much that I don't know, so much that i don't recognize and see. Having your admiration and attention is such an honor and gift. Continue to inspire young adults, and work in the world of literacy and art.
-Tiffany Sit
No comments:
Post a Comment