Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Our Missing Piece

July. 20th. Cloudy.

Without a doubt, it was my day. It was my night to shed my tear of happiness. The night that I could truly thank God with my entire heart and soul. It may have been the greatest gift he has ever blessed me with. Us four.

Austin and I talked and talked. Through our fingers to our lips. But as we shared, our picture began to appear more and more different.

"Well Nancy and I kind of thought that this reunion would be like closure..."
"What? Why would you think that?!"

Because we thought that we already lost it all five years ago. And it'll end once again. But this time would be different. We would say bye with a smile. And never turn back. Nancy and I won't need to cry together under our sheets. Our blankets won't need to be our tissue anymore.

"The way you see the group and the way Nancy and I do is completely different."
"You can honestly say that you didn't make just as good friends in high school?"
"Nope. Nothing can replace grade 6."

He was speechless. He lost.

Soon, Nancy joined in. We talked nostalgically. We all missed it. Our hearts flew and searched for the past, where we belonged. And now we're fighting back, making it possible. But we struggled still. Steven didn't show up online for the past two days. It wouldn't be the same without him. Completely incomplete.

But he did that night.

"Steven, hey it's Tiffany. Nancy, Austin, and I are talking on the phone and we were wondering if you want to have a reunion, just the four of us."
"Sorry...
BUT I WOULD LOVE TO.
LET'S DO IT!"

I smiled. I smiled with my eyes, my lips, every feature on my face.

Steven joined in on the phone too. And we planned everything possible: fireworks, the beach, downtown, barbecue, the park, the aquarium...everything. All fitted in three perfect days. I can't wait to brush my toes pass the tiny particles of the beach, let the wind lift my hair, my fingers stroke the water waves. The bright art in the dark silky sky, striking and stroking.

My eyes watered. This was what was not placed correctly, the piece that was gone from my life. A chipped piece of art; a ripped curtain to my window. But I'll hold it firmly now. My hands will ball up around it, covering it with pure determination. I won't ruin things ever again. I won't let myself. Nothing is important anymore. Nothing matters. I'm willing to sacrifice everything I have ever owned for this. And I know they would too.

No comments: